Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lost Rings

I have three rings that I wear every day. One is a white gold, diamond and amethyst ring, which was a birthday present on my 18th birthday. It's not my birthstone, but purple and silver are my favorite colors. Another ring is my silver Claddah ring, which originally was a Christmas present from my high school teacher, I think when I was in 11th grade. I especially like it because it's an Irish relationship ring. And the third is my class ring, which was a graduation present from my parents (my choice).

A problem I have is that in certain weather my fingers shrink and my rings slip around. I think a lot of people have that problem actually. So about a year and a half ago, I was weeding a garden in January early on a Saturday morning; you'd think that would be a stupid idea in itself, and actually yes it was, but since I'm in Texas we don't want to do gardening in the summer, and sometimes it's actually not too cold even in January. But that day it was cold, so cold in fact that I couldn't feel my hands and didn't feel my Claddagh ring slipping off, and didn't see it disappear. After I realized it was gone I tried to use a borrowed metal detector to find it, but no luck. So I started considering replacing it (although I'd much rather have my original back), and I actually found the exact same ring for really cheap on one website, so I ordered it. I figured if it came fast enough I could pretend it was actually the same ring and I'd never lost it. It never came, and I got no replies to my emails, so I had to use a Paypal dispute to get my money back. Then my brother and sister got me a new Claddagh ring for my birthday.

Last Thursday I was running errands, and it was really hot; I don't have air conditioning in my car so I drive with my windows down; and somewhere among those errands I lost my class ring. Hopefully not out the window. Fortunately I have my name engraved on the inside, and thanks to a custom jewelry order I attempted/worked on a few months ago, I actually have a photo of it, although not a very good one; so I've put my ring up on this site
(my ring here)
And I'm trying out ways to prevent my rings from slipping off in the future, since twice is more than enough. I've tried Ring Snuggies, but I don't like them because they're difficult to put on and take off, and they're uncomfortable. Also they come in a package with different sizes (one of each size), and I need two of one small size and one a little bigger. I googled "how not to lose your ring", but other than Ring Snuggies I didn't find anything except this plastic or silicone ring that goes on in front of your real ring. There wasn't much detail on the webpage about that one, and I don't think it's the type of page people should buy from, but I don't think that type of thing would work anyway, because if my fingers can't hold my rings, how is this plastic thing going to stay on? Maybe it would be smaller than my rings and stretchy, but I can't tell from the webpage. So for now I'm trying clasps attaching my handflower finger-chains to my rings.

Of course this won't work the same way for my class ring on my pointer finger, or any rings on the ring finger if anyone wants that, so I'll have to figure out a slightly different way of doing this for those. Perhaps a small length of chain going from the finger chain to the clasp to the ring. Also I'd like to replace the lobster clasps with some kind of hook clasp, if I can find something. But then also if I have to not wear my handflowers but still can and want to wear my rings I'll need something else. I'll have to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment